Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Week 7: Baptism and Big Eyes at Night

With the pouring of water, a cross drawn with oil, and a glory to you lord, Charlie entered the group "People Who Qualify for Heaven." (Catholics only, please.) I have mixed feelings about taking him through a rite I don't fully support. Part of me feels good that those in his life for whom these beliefs are important will sleep better. It's a terrible thought that a loved one would end up down the wrong path simply because a simple act was not done in time. But part of me feels like a louse, letting my baby take part in something that I'm not on board with. As Father Moran said, the child isn't there to profess his faith. He's there because the parents had him take part.

Most people will say, "Well, it doesn't do any harm." I wonder, what kind of example is that to set, to say it's okay to publicly declare things you don't embrace because no on gets hurt? Isn't that moral weakness, or maybe decay?

Later the same night, Charlie's eyes are extra large. Or maybe I just feel extra small.




No comments: