Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week Two: The Art of Lifetime

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of Similac: Charlie's first Fourth of July has passed. Sis-boom-bah. I had thoughts of doing something momentous for the new boy, something memorable. I then thought back to my first Independence Day, and of course couldn't remember it. For that matter, I don't recall one in particular as my first. Fireworks at Holmes Lake in Lincoln, Nebraska comes to mind. I need to be cautious of making an event out of every part of his life. I was just reading a book my close friend Will left me, The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell. In the book, Russell comments how every great novel has boring parts; same with great lives.

I completely agree, as must anyone who ever took the time with every page of
Moby-Dick, or Brothers Karamazov, or The Bible, or who has spent a lot of time with a grandparent, or an unusually driven friend. It's the lulls that give the spikes their interest. If I put too much into each part of his life, the ability for the wondrous is overshadowed by artificial weights.

Our close close friends Liz and Rudy had us over for the Fourth. Charlie didn't seem to mind one bit.

No comments: