Thursday, October 16, 2008

First Words: The Race Is On!

Folks, you've never seen anything more sad than all the adults in Charlie's life trying to coax him into saying their name as his first word. His parents, grandparents, and siblings all take turns coaching this poor child in efforts to be Charlie's favorite. I'm not without my association to this foolishness: I have a midnight campaign going, when the rest of the house sleeps, slowly repeating "Da-ddy, da-ddy" over and over into his ear in hopes he'll say it back to me. Lisa is less subtle, putting Charlie on the couch and trying to get him to repeat "Ma-Ma." If anyone comes near during these lessons, they risk an elbow in the face. When my dad was here recently, he spent every available minute working with Charlie on how to pronounce "Pa-Pa." It's getting intense. Poor kid. He'll probably smite our hopes by saying something random as his first word. Any guesses?

No comments: