Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day Zero (Red Sky at Night)

Jason Charles Leary, born around 11:00 a.m. ET in Boston, Massachusetts. Sunny, though later major clouds and intense storms come through in intervals before giving way to a gorgeous night. Mom is pulling through the C-section really well, Dad is delirious with the sound of his child--messy, gargling, healthy sounds--and Charlie's new brothers and sister are in love. Grandparents and close friends are acting like complete fools on the phone, and I couldn't be happier about it. He's healthy, he's beautiful, he's all we could have hoped for.

Like the enormous Citgo sign that flashes near the hospital, he represents something obvious, but means something abstract: he is too big to be seen for what he is.

This blog is to make him not exactly smaller, but to make him seen for what he is: a life among lives. I promise not to make this another venue for my "deep" thoughts, nor a place for me to put off writing because it's hard to write and worse to read. No, this will be new: freer, funnier, more frequent, and with less ego. Through another, my other, I give way to something better. I hope that my specific notes mean something to others, connecting to their lives in obvious ways and requiring feedback and stories that will enrich my life in return.

My life...it begins again, but Charlie's, his begins

Now.

2 comments:

Jada's Mommy said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read more about Charlie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, whatever, Pops, just give the people what they really want: more pictures of the boy!